|“||I have the key to One-Eyed Willy.||”|
Chester Copperpot was a reclusive scavenger hunter from Astoria, Oregon who went missing in the 1930s while looking for One-Eyed Willy's treasure. He was later found by the Goonies, crushed to death under a booby-trapped boulder.
Involvement[edit | edit source]
Chester Copperpot was reported as missing in the November 30, 1935 issue of The Astoria Legend. A copy of this was stored in the Walsh's attic, as meant to be a part of the local museum. When Chunk read the story aloud, Mikey was inspired to lead the same treasure hunt, in one last grand hurrah before the Goon Docks were to be signed away to be demolished.
The Goonies later discovered his skeleton in the tunnels where he evidently triggered a booby-trap that crushed him under a boulder. They identify his corpse from information in his wallet, which also contained a Lou Gehrig baseball card. They take his candles, dynamite sticks, and a skull-shaped key which the map reffered to as "Copper Bones". Moments later Mikey triggered the same trap that Copperpot did, but the Goonies manage to escape unharmed.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The man pictured in the newspaper is uncredited in the film. A number of people have been speculated as to who he is:
- Keenan Wynn. Supposedly the Wynn family has said it is not Keenan.
- Sigmund Freud. He looks similar, however people connected to the Freud estate have supposedly said it is not him.
- Bob Scaife, the construction coordinator on The Goonies. He supposedly had the look Steven Spielberg wanted for Copperpot.
- Prop photo. It looks like the same photo appeared in the 1981 movie Shock Treatment. The photo might've been found in a prop storeroom and thus the individual might not be identifiable even by the filmmakers.
- Patrick Troughton: Actor who is seen in newspaper photo may be Patrick Troughton, actor who portrayed second Doctor in “Doctor Who“ as well as appearing in fantasy films like “Jason and the Argonauts” and “Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger”
- There has been a lot of guesses about who's image was used for Chester Copperpot. His name is Joel Wayne Warner. He was a Science teacher in Astoria at the time of the movie. He happened to be at the filming, when the director stopped him and said "I need that face". They took some pictures of Mr. Warner, and he became.... Chester Copperpot. Posted by his family.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When Jake Fratelli shows that Chester Copperpot's wallet has no money, he says niente, the Italian word for "nothing".
- Chester Copperpot has been references a number of times in pop culture, including World of Warcraft and the name of a La Oreja de Van Gogh album.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- trips (2008-11-05). Who is this actor?. Retrieved on 2018-10-07.
|The Goonies characters|
|Goonies||Andy • Brand • Chunk • Data • Mikey • Mouth • Sloth • Stef|
|Fratellis||Francis Fratelli • Jake Fratelli • Mama Fratelli|
|Secondary||Chester Copperpot • Irene Walsh • Irving Walsh • Mr. Perkins • One-Eyed Willy • Rosalita • Troy Perkins|
|Miscellaneous||Andy's father • Andy's mother • Chunk's father • Chunk's mother • Data's father • Data's mother • Data's sister • Eydie Cohen • FBI Man • Mouth's father • Mouth's grandmother • Prison Guard • Stef's father • Stef's mother • Stef's sister • Tennis Player • Troy's friends|